Saturday 28 June 2008

Alistair Campbell and Jacques Brel

Yesterday I put up a post which mentioned in passing my great admiration for Jacques Brel. http://blogger-ablog.blogspot.com/2008/06/norman-lebrecht-youtube-french-chanson.html Brel was a singer who had very serious and illuminating things to say which are not expressed in classical music as they reflect a different experience. A person. therefore, very much worth paying attention to. As Brel is not at all sufficiently known in Britain it was therefore with both surprise and pleasure that I read the following today from Alistair Campbell in The Observer.
'Every now and then, one gets through from the saner end of the media market. And so I found myself last week on the Eurostar to Paris with an independent radio producer who had the idea of my making a BBC radio programme on my favourite singer, Jacques Brel. Even among cultured Observer readers I hear some asking: 'Who the hell is Brel?' The question is one of the mysteries of our time - why Belgian Brel, the greatest Francophone performer who ever lived, whose legend has grown since his death 30 years ago, is so little known in Britain.
'I met Brel's eye-twinkling accordionist Jean Corti, who subtly tested my knowledge by playing a number of Brel songs and asking me to name them. I managed most. And I met Jean-Michel Boris, who staged Brel's last-ever live performance at the Olympia in 1967, tears in his eyes as he recalled the emotions of an extraordinary night. I picked up a DVD of the concert at Galeries Lafayette. I urge anyone with an interest in the power of live performance to get it. '
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/jun/29/alistaircampbell
A quick visit to Amazon.fr reveals that the DVD is still available from other suppliers via Amazon so it is ordered.
As both Lebrecht and Campbell have dealt with French post-World War II chanson, and more specifically Brel, in one week does this mean this genre/school is more entering at least some areas of British cultural life? If so it would be a definite step forward.

No comments: